The last letter “Z” is upon us meaning we have reached the end of the Healthy A-Z series. I hope that you and your little ones have enjoyed discovering a variety of fruits and vegetables. Also hoping that the discovery and crafting with fruits and vegetables has motivated your little ones to eat some previously unfamiliar fruits or vegetables.
We’ve chosen to craft with zucchinis and turn them into cacti because of their shape and colour. Zucchinis are called courgettes in some parts of the world and belong to the pumpkin family – how interesting! Zucchinis are sausage shaped and depending on the variety, they can be light to dark green in colour. Their flesh is creamy white, soft and filled with numerous tiny, edible seeds. Get your little ones to describe in their own words the look and feel of a zucchini, it is a wonderful opportunity for them to expand their vocabulary.
Zucchinis are also a great treat for little ones to grow in the home garden. I can vouch that they are easy to grow as we have managed to grow them. The zucchini plant is bushy with big leaves and a prickly stem. The plant grows large orange flowers that turn into zucchinis. I can tell you that picking their first zucchinis was definitely an exciting moment for my boys!
My boys decided our zucchini cacti should throw a party to celebrate the end of the A-Z Healthy eating series. Making these zucchini cacti is so much fun with many early learning and development activities. The zucchini is the ideal vegetable to learn knife skills as it is not too tough or too soft for little fingers. Cutting the zucchini and pushing toothpicks into them are great fine motor activities that develop young children’s muscles and encourage prewriting and other skills.
Hope your little ones enjoy making these love-to-party zucchini cacti.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR THE ZUCCHINI CACTI:
- Googly eyes
- Assorted coloured scrap paper
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE ZUCCHINI CACTI:
- Cut one end of zucchini to desired height so that they are able to stand on their flat end.
- Break off pointy ends of toothpicks and push into zucchini with pointy ends on the outside.
- Use hot glue to stick googly eyes onto zucchini.
- To make the party hats, make a small cone with coloured paper and stick onto zucchini with hot glue.
- Give your zucchini character by drawing a mouth with a marker pen or making a moustache with black paper.
* This post and all associated images have been lovingly supplied by Iddle Peeps’ Contributor Rossa from Curious Little People. Read more about Rossa here.