Vegetable Medley Train Carriages
We’ve reached the letter “V” and almost nearing the end of the A-Z healthy eating series! “V” is for Vegetable Medley and today’s craft will be popular with all the train lovers out there.
Today’s craft is a great activity to foster creativity as the objective is to use as many different vegetables as possible to craft your train carriages. Hopefully your little ones have become familiar with a wide range of vegetables as part of this series and are becoming a little more open to eating and crafting with them. Here is an opportunity to reinforce the concept of “eating a rainbow” which is an effortless way to remember that eating a variety of fruits and vegetables will get you the vitamins and minerals your body needs. The reason for this is that certain food colours indicate specific nutrients and eating a variety of colours is one sure way to get as many of those nutrients as possible (and eat a broad, diverse amount of food in the process.)
Encourage your little ones to attempt making these train carriages with other vegetables. Is there another vegetable that can be used for the train carriage with a similar shape? Can the train’s wheels be made with another vegetable that can also be cut into round discs? It was a wonderful opportunity for us to identify and spot the shapes we used in making our train carriages. My Big boy also had a revision in 2D and 3D shapes and how to identify each.
A reminder to practice safe knife skills with your little ones if they are going to cut the vegetables for this craft. Ensure you choose a child friendly knife, secure the cutting board on the table so it doesn’t slide and make sure your little one is standing at a height that they can clearly see what they are cutting. Using a knife is a great motor development activity and one that gets better with practice.
Have fun crafting your own vegetable medley train carriages!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR THE VEGETABLE MEDLEY TRAIN CARRIAGES:
- Capsicums (also known as peppers)
- Tooth picks
- Assorted vegetables for the train carriages
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE VEGETABLE MEDLEY TRAIN CARRIAGES:
- Cut capsicums in half and remove the insides so that it is hollow.
- Cut cucumber into round discs for wheels.
- To attach the cucumber wheels, place capsicum cut side up and push a toothpick through into the capsicum to secure.
- Pop some vegetables into your train carriages and play…or munch away!
* This post and all associated images have been lovingly supplied by Iddle Peeps’ Contributor Rossa from Curious Little People. Read more about Rossa here.