ROASTED TOMATO PASTA
Simple, quick and fresh tasting, this roasted tomato pasta dish can be served hot or cold – so it’s great for both cool or warm weather. The rich, flavoursome tomato taste is perfectly balanced with the balsamic vinegar and the fresh basil finishes off the meal perfectly. Inexpensive, easy and nutritious, this is a fabulous option for those doing meat- free days of the week with their family.
With so few ingredients, it is important that each ingredient is as fresh as possible and the great gluten-free pasta options available make this a definite winner, even for those with gluten intolerances or allergies. I would definitely recommend using juicy fresh tomatoes instead of tinned tomatoes.
I hope that you enjoy this meal as much as our family does! We sometimes crumble some feta over the top, just before we tuck in. Also delicious served with some salad leaves on the side.
Ingredients for Roasted Tomato Pasta: (serves 2-3)
- 5 large tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- 200g pasta of your choice
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup of olive oil (may need more)
- Handful of fresh basil (roughly torn)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- **3-4 tablespoons toasted pine nuts (optional)
Method for Roasted Tomato Pasta:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
- Place chopped tomatoes in a baking dish and mix with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil
- Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally
- In the meantime, cook the pasta until firm and gently heat the pine nuts in a pan until they colour slightly
- Drain the pasta and drizzle with olive oil and mix with the torn basil leaves
- Serve the roasted tomatoes on top of the pasta with the toasted pine nuts
- Can be served hot or cold