K is for kiwi fruit. Kiwi fruit are an unusually looking, nutritious and conveniently packaged food source packed with fibre and vitamins. They are vibrant, deliciously sweet and make a great fruit salad or lunchbox addition- perfect for little hands and brilliant for little ones on the go.
DID YOU KNOW?
- A kiwi fruit has more vitamin C than an orange.
- They are native to China and were originally known as Yang Tao.
- Kiwi fruit was named after New Zealand’s Kiwi bird because they are both small, brown and furry (and flightless!).
- Raw kiwi contains actinidain, a protein-dissolving enzyme that can help digest a meal much like the papain in papaya or bromelain in pineapple.
- The fuzzy outer skin IS edible.
WHY ARE KIWI FRUIT SO GOOD FOR YOU?
1- Just 1 cup of kiwi fruit contains around 85% of your daily requirement of vitamin C
2- Eating vitamin C-rich fruit such as kiwi has shown to have a protective effect against respiratory symptoms associated with asthma such as wheezing
3- Kiwis are a great source of fibre which helps to prevent constipation and other intestinal problems.
4- Despite tasting sweet, they have a low GI index, meaning they don’t raise blood sugar levels quickly. (Kiwi fruit has a glycemic load of 4, which means that it’s safe for diabetics).
5- Kiwi fruit are a good source of vitamin E, an antioxidant known to protect skin from degeneration.
K is for kiwi fruit. Below we have a fun kiwi fruit craft idea on how to make “Kiwi Fruit Aliens” as well as a delicious, simple and allergy friendly Kiwi Smoothie Bowl idea … check them out. They are fun ways to celebrate kiwi fruit, to talk about their texture, their taste and why they’re so good for us and important in our diets!