Gluten-free Orange and Almond Cake
This gluten-free orange and almond cake recipe is always a winner and actually one of my most requested cakes from friends and family. It is so simple and has such a deliciously moist texture. Incredibly vibrant, zesty, fresh and light it can be served with cream, a dusting of icing sugar, or simply as is.
It’s a great option for gatherings and picnics as it stores well, is both dairy-free and gluten-free and doesn’t dry out. It can also be made ahead and frozen, which makes it very convenient!
This cake is a great way to get the little ones involved in mixing, pouring and is a great way to explain how heat can change the appearance and textures of fruits and vegetables – in this case, the orange.
Recipe for gluten-free orange and almond cake:
- 2 large ripe oranges
- 225g caster sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 250g almond meal
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil.
- Wash the oranges and place them in the boiling water (whole) to cook for around 2 hours
- After two hours, drain the oranges in a colander and set aside to cool.
- Once these have reached room temperature, puree both whole oranges in a food processor – this can easily be done ahead of time.
For the cake:
- Preheat an oven to 160°C and grease and line a 23cm round springform cake tin with baking paper. (A spring-form tin is recommended as this is a fairly delicate cake and can break when removed from other tins)
- Using an electric beater (if possible)- beat the eggs with the caster sugar until well mixed and creamy.
- Using a spatula, stir in the almond meal, baking powder and cooled orange puree until smooth and well combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the tin and bake for 1 hour (it may need a little bit longer in some ovens – make sure you check with a skewer). If the skewer comes out clean, then it’s ready. You shouldn’t need to bake for longer than 1¼ hours.
The top of the cake should should be dark golden colour (slightly caramelised). If desired, dust with icing sugar just before serving.